Abha Dawesar Blog

Family Values has been released! Babyji is now available in French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Turkish, and Thai. The Hebrew and French translations of That Summer in Paris are also out. My site: www.abhadawesar.com
I also have a FRENCH BLOG.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Make time in Delhi this week…

The art scene at the India Habitat Center is hot. Rajiv Puri’s show of landscapes, many bordering on the abstract are a treat to behold. The brisk strokes of his palette knife when combined with some of his forest and field impressions lend several of the canvases at this show a rather Klimtesque effect.

Also on at the IHC is a show by multiple artists. Two pieces here stand out in particular. Bikash Poddar has a water color landscape reminiscent of Watteau; three tiny figures in this work are dwarfed by their surroundings and somehow also hovering half way out of the canvas thanks to the sheer lightness of his medium. That this kind of painting is still done at all, is lovely. That it is being done with a distinctively Indian flavor is magnificent.

Ajay De’s untitled charcoal and oil that greets the visitor on entering the group show is…well…stunning. De’s control over his draftsmanship reminded me of Odilon Redon’s pastels and drawings (now on display at the MoMA in NY). De’s use of light is masterful and the mood of the work evocative. Just to see how this man uses color you should make a trip to the IHC. I hope to discover some more of his work in the near future. If you know how I can reach him let me know.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Abha:

I bought a copy of Babyji late last year but didn't get down to reading it till last week. Thoroughly enjoyed it! I look forward to your next book. I need to buy and read Miniplanner. It's on my to-do list for 2006 :-)

Ajay de is an old friend from Calcutta. I have known him since I was a child and he was in art school. We have kept in touch over the years (he is now based in Mumbai and I live in Austin, Texas) and last year I bought one of his magnificent charcoal works. I don't have his phone number on me right now, but I can send it to you later. Do visit his website- www.ajayde.com and send him an email.

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good book. Have you written any book on aishwarya rai ?

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home