Abha Dawesar Blog

Family Values has been released! Babyji is now available in French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Turkish, and Thai. The Hebrew and French translations of That Summer in Paris are also out. My site: www.abhadawesar.com
I also have a FRENCH BLOG.

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Light light Lisbon

India seems to be everywhere, presenting herself sometimes in highly unlikely forms like this restaurant in central Lisbon that marries Bengal with tandoori food. The mascot: dancing Shiva. Well, why not?

I check into my hotel on Liberty Avenue on Wednesday afternoon and decided to make the most of the remaining sunlight. I’ve been to the city once before for five days so I decide I can make it without a map. Within two blocks I tire of the traffic on the main road despite the large shady trees and the two teenagers in a sweet embrace by a fountain. I turn off into a narrow side street and find myself at Alegria Square where a madman is directing the odd car here and there. The park in the square has a seedy feel, a corner theater announces some kind of doubtful spectacle featuring women and dance. Lisbon is hilly and soon I recognize a set of stairs leading up to another level of the city. If memory serves me right then I’ve been here six months ago after dinner with some friends. Despite the wind and the cold we sat in the open night and had lemonade. At that time I hadn’t been able to figure out how we got there so now I give up all hope of orienting myself toward the Chiado and just continue to where my nose takes me. Soon I’m on a narrow street with tramways and even narrower sidewalks. I’m expecting somehow to reach a large square in the Chiado with nothing but the compass that was included in my urban brain at birth. The light is beautiful today as always, the patch of green on the Principe Reale that was closed off last fall is still out of bounds. No construction workers are in sight so it’s likely that prohibitive green netting will hide the city’s most magnificent vista overlooking the old fort for many more months to come.

Paris is the city of light. So how come Lisbon has this kind of light? A light light. An unavoidable pun that you must excuse. There is a lack of heaviness in Lisbon’s light morning, noon, and dusk. It’s not because of the sea. After all Greece is on the sea. It’s not the proximity to Africa. Morocco doesn’t have this light. My own theory is that the undulating off-white tiles that pave all of Lisbon’s many sidewalks have much to do with the quality of this city’s luminescence. They bounce off the light differently than the sidewalks and buildings in Paris (for example). The red roofs tinge the light with a rose accent and round it off. If the lumière in Lisbon is light and young and fresh there is a lot in the buildings and the roads that is old and sage. Even with little understanding of Portugal one can end up feeling nostalgic and old world when one is here. Beauty is to be found in hidden corners and by the way. Nothing announces it. Nothing celebrates it. That is Lisbon’s charm. For a walker like myself it is impossible not to notice the uneven undulating sidewalks. A few black stones provide shapes and patterns against a background of white. The sidewalks are functional and the stones are all in place but they rise and dip, there are no straight lines. A topographer would be able to map as much relief on the sidewalks as on the very hills of Lisbon. The tiles are wavy along both a two dimensional and a three-dimensional axis and I’d like to ask an expert in optics if flat even stones would create a different effect and alter the light. Even as I ruminate over this I’m spit out into the square I’ve been anticipating but from the opposite direction that I expect. This happens again a few hours later. Walking after dinner I wait for the Chinese pavilion, an odd eccentric nightlife venue with an improbable collection of objects to loom up on the opposite side of the streets but it is to my left just ahead of me. The next night heading to Buenos Aires, one of Lisbon’s small, charming, and perpetually overbooked restaurants I huff and pant up the steps once again approaching it as if in a mirror. To be in Lisbon for me is to be at once lost and not lost, to recognize something familiar and yet to find myself perplexed. For these and other reasons I know I will come back many times.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's very beautifully written, with a simple yet surprising charm. I can feel the light of the city, walk its uneven sinuous paths and follow the curve of your ruminations even as I read it....Lovely! Here the light is intrusive and unsparing....

priti a

3:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Abha your narrative on Lisbon somehow reminded me of "NAMESAKE", may be because ... Moushumi reincarnates in France, and though I haven't travelled anywhere near France the romance etched in her words stayed in my mind, I guess.

Lisbon sounds beautiful by your words ..

5:28 PM  
Blogger Rosa said...

“Olá Mundo”!
I’m from Lisbon and I would like write as well as I write in Portuguese… but I’ll try.
I’d just have read your book yesterday and I found myself curious about you.
First: thank you for to give me a privilege to read a beautiful book like “Babyij”.
Second: instead I tried to find you on internet; I found the article that you wrote about the light of Lisbon. I couldn’t agree more with you. I’d talked with my friends about this special light but seem anybody understands me… it was so nice to hear from you talk about of this lightly pearl.

Yours sincerely
Rosa

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

after reading this...i can only smile. a few months ago i went to see a Pina Bausch ballet in Lisbon named "For the children of yesterday, today and tomorrow" it was amazing ...so much expression and impression...sometimes i felt i had to close my eyes for just a second to compass a deep breath. At a certain point an "old" couple enters in the stage (Nazareth Panadero and Dominique Mercy) and they flirt in all possible manners, but after each attempt they just say to each other "não dá!" (not working). One can think that after so many years together they should have a more elaborate explanation...but explanations could become highly complex and for that reason would loose the feature of explanation ...sometimes a very small sentence gives you the true sense of it all, isn't that a great explanation???
For me Lisbon is Special!

Cláudia

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the rainy season,especially in the early evenings, the light is soft and soothing here in this green colony where I live. But once you enter the city with its horrendous traffic and ugly or harshly functional or glaringly commercial structures, the light seems murky and when one thinks of the recent disasters that have jolted this city, one wonders if tomorrow's sunlight will save one's faith in life and humankind. The experience and memory of light in certain cities can give us memorable moments but can these help us draw aside the heavy pall of gloom that falls/descends when tragedy strikes a city such as mine?

p

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home